By Angela Nolan / October 18, 2010 / Recipes
Enjoy this family favourite recipe that I have been sharing for years!
- 1 can (796 mls) diced tomatoes
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped finely
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 ½ tbsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp sugar
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 can (540 mls) dark red kidney beans, un-drained
- 1 can (540 mls) dark red kidney beans, drained
- In large pot, over medium heat, sauté ground beef, stirring, until red color disappears.
- Pour off any fat.
- Add chopped onion & chili powder; continue cooking & stirring for about 5 minutes, or until onion is tender.
- Add balance of ingredients including the un-drained and drained can of beans to the pot.
- Reduce heat to low, simmer slowly, cover and stir occasionally, until thickened and flavours are blended.
- Serve with garlic toast or nacho chips.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
Note: This dish is even better when made in a Crock Pot. Follow directions 1 & 2 as outlined above and then place all ingredients including the meat/onions into the Crock Pot. Cook for 8 hours on low heat.
Follow me online